Tuesday, May 3, 2016

May is for Makers week 1 - Starfall Quilt

Lindsey Rhodes has started a campaign to bring attention and support to the makers out there... the people who spend a lot of time and effort to make beautiful things; things that people often aren't willing to pay a full and reasonable price for.

May Is For Makers | LRstitched.com

She has set herself the challenge to support a different maker each week for the entire month of May. Not only will she have some awesome new projects to work on, she will also be helping to encourage and support independent makers and designers by buying their patterns/goods and showing them that their time and talent are valuable. 

In her case, and mine, it is sewing-related, but I extend the challenge to you in a wider context: this month, whether it is just once, or once a week, spend a little bit of time and/or money and support a maker. Whether it is a local musician, a road-side pie stand, a small scale food producer or an independent artisan... pick something that you love and support it. Buy something that they produce, spend some time talking to them about what they do and why they're passionate about it, and then tell someone else about them. 

Personally, I have been wanting to make a scrap quilt to use up some of my stash, so I chose for my purchase this week to buy the pattern for Fresh Lemons' Starfall quilt. I love the idea of having a bunch of different sized star blocks... it looks like it will lend itself really well to my weird array of scraps! Plus it's a great exercise in scale... I have scale on the brain right now as the MMQG charity project for next year is going to be centered around that theme. 

I'm not sure what I'll do next week, but with summer right around the corner, maybe I'll look for a few nice summer dress patterns. A big thank you to both Izzy and Shannon, fellow MMQG members, who both posted about #MayisforMakers this week... I'm glad I heard about it! :) 

2 comments:

  1. Yayy - welcome to the fun!! And the Starfall Quilt pattern looks awesome...I'm adding it to my every expanding list of patterns to consider :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pattern looks fabulous! I'm researching what to purchase next and there are just so many options!! :-)

    ReplyDelete