Sunday, March 6, 2016

DFTBA

It is ever-so-slowly starting to feel like spring is around the corner here in Montreal, most of my administrative-type stuff is caught up on and I was avoiding working on my taxes this weekend, so decided to make something instead. I took a cue from my fellow MMQG member Cinzia's Word of the Year mini-quilts and decided to make one for myself using some fabric scraps:



Now, I know it's not a word. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, DFTBA stands for "Don't Forget to be Awesome"* which I figured was something worth being reminded about, especially when I'm in my studio space. 


I simply used some leftover fabrics in my stash and a bit of freezer paper for the letters, appliqued it onto the background and did a simple echo quilting around the letters, finishing it with a scrappy binding. 


All in all it took a few  hours, including the hand binding and was a really nice way to spend an afternoon that was too cold and icy to want to go outside, but was nice and sunny if you stayed in. ;) I'm quite pleased with how it came out... I love it when these "make it up as you go along" projects turn out well. Now I just have to get myself a dowel for the back and find a spot to hang it! And of course, DFTBA! ;) 


*DFTBA has been popularized by Hank Green and John Green, brothers who have become educators, activists and entrepreneurs, as well as musicians and authors, through their YouTube channel the Vlog Brothers. If you're not already familiar with them, I recommend you check out their work... they do some incredible stuff. 

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool Steph and I just love purple! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's so easy to get caught up in big projects, I've had fun lately playing around with little improv ones instead. Plus it helps put a dent in my scrap stash ;D

      Delete