Friday, January 8, 2016

The Rainbow Quilt

I can't say I'm the world's fastest learner, but at thirty-*cough*grumble*mutter* years old, I _have_ finally figured out that I should over-estimate and under-commit when it comes to making handmade gifts for Christmas. This year, I didn't make any Christmas ornaments or decorations, my holiday cooking was kept to a minimum, and I only made one gift... a lap quilt for my mom. And even still, I just barely got everything finished in time ;)



I bought a rainbow print bundle from Mad About Patchwork with the intent to make a quilt for my mom, but with a completely different pattern in mind. After putting some of the blocks together, I realized I just didn't like how it was turning out... but I'd already cut up most of the print fabrics into strips for it. Hmm... what the heck was I going to do with it??


Then I watched one of Jacquie Gering's Craftsy classes called Improvisational Piecing, Modern Design and I was really impressed by one of the techniques she talked about. It was quick, easy and gave really striking results. So I took that technique and adapted it slightly, making a somewhat simplified version of the block that allowed me to use the strips I already had cut out, and it came together wonderfully!


The 15 colored prints I had from the bundle made the layout super simple, as the quilt was 15 blocks square, making a nice lap size. The blocks sewed up quickly, as did piecing the whole quilt. I used a multi-colored polka dot print for the backing and a simple wavy quilting stitch and there you have it!


Apologies for the somewhat low quality images... I got it finished late at night and grabbed a few pictures, intending to get a few more in daylight once she opened her gift on Christmas. But with everything going on, I completely forgot about it until we were on our way home. Oops!

I am definitely going to keep this pattern in my repertoire... it allows for endless variations and is so easy to put together. I really enjoyed it, and am quite proud of the finished product :)

3 comments:

  1. This is really nice Steph! I love that class with Jacquie - I've watched it multiple times. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love her! I've watched it a few times, plus her walking foot ones as well. So good!

      Delete
  2. It is a beautiful one! And I'm sure it was a really appreciated one too!

    ReplyDelete