Saturday, October 10, 2015

Impatient perfectionism

It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and yesterday was cold and rainy and a lovely day to stay inside with a cup of coffee and sew. So I did! I made some great progress on a project I'm working on right now to submit to QuiltCon (the deadline is approaching *fast*) and I was feeling really accomplished... until this morning.

Taking a step back and looking at the finished quilt top this morning I realized I wasn't at all happy with how it had come together. Me from a few years ago would have cursed a bit but left it as is because I was just too impatient to take it all apart and redo it. It's a holiday weekend, today's weather has been spectacular, and I was hoping to spend some good time relaxing! Unfortunately, the me from now just can't stand to turn in work that isn't up to snuff. I mulled over various solutions that didn't involve taking it all apart, but none of them really worked so I finally caved and spent my afternoon cuddling up to my seam ripper. *sigh* I spend way too much time with that thing.

It means ripping out and redoing 192 seams, but having tested it out on one I am much happier with the result, so at least I'll have a finished product I'm proud of. This new me does much nicer work than the old me, but she sure is a killjoy when it comes to slacking off and enjoying a long weekend :P

No comments:

Post a Comment