Saturday, September 5, 2015

The dreaded quilt sandwich


I adore the design and construction process of making a quilt, and I've come to really enjoy the quilting and binding process as well (now that I know how to do them properly ;)... but the part I still dread is making the 'quilt sandwich'. That basically means when the time comes to put the quilt backing, the batting and the quilt top together to get ready to do the quilting. I hate it with every fiber of my being

My workspace is quite small and we don't really have any wide open floor or table space for me to spread out when trying to put the three layers together, so trying to stretch everything out and get them basted together is always a huge pain in my sciatic area...


I've had Sharon Schamber's board/hand basting video bookmarked for ages, and at the moment I'm trying to figure out what took me so long to try it out. Last week I gave the boyfriend an excuse to go to the hardware store to get me two boards and I've got a full sized quilt that's ready to be basted, so today I'm going to finally try out Sharon's method. 


How to board and hand baste a quilt (part 1)



How to board and hand baste a quilt (part 2)


When working with a large, unwieldy quilt, how do you wrangle it for basting? Do you use the board method or something else? 

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you as far as basting being the most unpleasant task of the whole quilting process!!! I have the same problem as you - no room to really and truly spread out and having to be on my hands and knees for an hour doesn't appeal to me at all! I think we need to organize a demo of this method at one of our meetings! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea! I'll add it to my notes :)

      Delete