Saturday, May 16, 2015

Quilts, quilts, quilts!

A couple of years ago I joined the Montreal Modern Quilt Guild, and while it is just generally an awesome group of people to spend an evening at our meetings, it has also raised the standards to which I hold my work and has really helped me sharpen my skills. I don't have any pictures of the first few quilts I did as gifts (and frankly, that's a good thing ;) but here is a little round up of some of my older quilts to get us up to the present.

(I think I will eventually need to work on a better set up for photographing my work... most of these are taken late at night after I have giddily finished a project and ask my boyfriend to hold them up while I snap a few pictures of them. You can usually spot his fingers in the upper corners and his pants at the bottom ;) )





While I had yet to really grasp the ability to match up my seams properly when I made this quilt, I think the colors do a good job of distracting you from the sloppy seams ;) This was one of my earliest 'from scratch' designs, and while it is nothing extraordinary in terms of design - just a simple chevron design made with half-square triangles - I was quite pleased with the end result. I made it as a baby gift for my best friend from high school. 



A little while later I made another baby quilt for another friend and this time I was a bit more adventurous with my choice of pattern (this one if the Kissing Fish quilt pattern from Freshly Pieced). This one involved over 250 individual half-square triangles be sewn, ironed and squared up to make the 'kissing fish' blocks. It took me *ages*, and seriously tested my patience, but I was determined to have neater seams and it turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself. You may recognize this one as the source for the scraps used in the mug rug I posted previously. 



Having had my fill of half-square triangles, I instead chose a simple gingham style pattern for a charity quilt we did for the guild. These quilts would eventually be donated to a palliative care center here in Quebec where the families of the patients would get to keep the quilt once their family member passed on. I really agonized over the design for this one, as I wanted something soothing and simple... I can't help but see a tablecloth in the finished product, but I think the shades of blue and the red quilting and binding make for a nice effect. You will also note the amazing seams on this one! ;) 





I have a few more quilts to show, but those ones will be in upcoming individual posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment