Sunday, May 3, 2015

One can never have too many pillows

Sometimes a big, complicated project is just too daunting and you need a sort of 'quick fix' project to feel productive and get the creative juices flowing. I usually opt for a zippered pouch or a throw pillow. After all, one can never have too many pillows...


In helping to clean out my grandmother's sewing room after she passed away, I found this fabric panel that was clearly vintage 60's and I knew I needed to give it a home as a pillow on my orange wing chair. I sit here, drinking Old Fashioneds and watching Mad Men ;) 

Over on the couch I have the two pillows I made for the Riley Blake fabric challenge. It was an improvisational design done with a few fussy-cut hexagons of the challenge fabric and a basic Ikea pillow form. The dark background fabric shows off cat hair fantastically well :P 





Coincidentally, I had also made a pillow the previous year for the 2014 Riley Blake challenge, though I didn't realize it until I was organizing my photos. The dark grey fabric used for the horizontal strips was *gorgeous* (I love grey) though sadly I have not been able to find it to buy more. This one was given to my niece Alice for her room. 




And speaking of Alice, this is a custom designed pillow I made for her. She is almost 3 years old and her room is decorated with owls, so I made this over-sized acorn pillow for her bed. It came together fairly well, though that freakin' pink piping fought me every step of the way... that said, the end result is nice enough to make me (mostly) forget about the hassle ;) 




And of course at Christmas, I saw this fabric and couldn't resist getting it, though I had no idea what to make with it. It ended up becoming two kiddie-sized pillow cases, of course!

  

So if you find yourself in a creative rut or stuck for ideas, try making a pillow!

No comments:

Post a Comment