Sunday, May 24, 2015

Distractions

The nature of my work often means that I'm sitting still, focusing on something for long periods of time, so I like to have something on in the background to listen to. YouTube can be good for this, I can watch old episodes of QI, or catch up on some of the channels I follow (Vsauce, Vlogbrothers or WheezyWaiter, for example). 

Slowly, though, I am moving more towards podcasts... on the top of my list is, of course, the QI podcast, No Such Thing as a Fish and Adam Savage's podcast Still Untitled. I love listening to people who are enthusiastic talk about their passions, and if it's one thing Mr. Savage isn't lacking on, its enthusiasm. As a fellow maker and autodidact, I thoroughly enjoy listening to him discuss his passion for making and crafting, but their topics of discussion range far and wide. 


I keep the Nerdist podcast, and Alton Brown's podcast bookmarked as well, although I find them a little more hit-and-miss... I don't listen to them as often. I've also recently added a few craft-based podcasts to my list, but am still testing them out to see if I like them. 

So, do you like to have something playing in the background when you're working, and if so, what sort of things do you prefer? Have any suggestions for me to check out? I'm all ears!

2 comments:

  1. I love listening to Ted Talks! http://www.ted.com/ . One of my faves is FLOW by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (http://www.ted.com/talks/mihaly_csikszentmihalyi_on_flow ). I am also reading his book by the same title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted talks are great! I totally binged on them when I first discovered them, though I don't think I've seen that one, I'll have to check it out!

      Delete