Saturday, May 30, 2015

As ye sew, so shall ye rip

I've been working on fixing a store-bought quilt for my niece. The batting that was in it went all weird and lumpy, so we had to wrangle it from her (there was a fair amount of crying) so I could take it apart and put new batting in it. I foolishly said it wouldn't take me long to fix...

Getting it apart wasn't difficult, but getting it back together has been a phenomenal pain in the arse. It is very thin cotton with an odd bias stretch to it, so every time I get it most of the way back together, I find the fabric has gone wonky and the edges won't match up properly. I have partly sewn together and subsequently seam ripped it apart three times now, and I'm about to get stabby.


So I'm taking it apart yet again this evening and at this point instead of trying to put it back together the way it was*, I'm just going to securely quilt the top, batting and bottom into one layer and do a facing around the edge and be done with it... I don't want to keep her blanket from her any longer! Otherwise, I might be giving it back to her as a high school graduation gift :P 


* it was previously put together by putting the right sides of the quilt top and quilt back together, sewing around three of the four sides, turning it right side out to capture the batting in the middle, then sewing closed the fourth side. It was then quilted using an extremely large and loose stab stitch, which would explain why the batting didn't hold up well when washed! Kind of a silly way to construct a child's bed quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment